Home Brewing Principles

There are a couple of things that we do with all of our home brewing that we feel make a difference in the quality of what we make.

1. Fun, fun, fun - Our primary reason for making our own beer and wine apertifs is to have fun with the process. Experiment with new ideas, and enjoy the process.

2. Water - We only brew with spring water to avoid any chemicals or additives related to tap water. We feel it makes a difference in the taste of what we make, and possibly contributes to a higher alcohol content (a guess, not fact)

3. Water Amount - We always brew our beer in 5 gallons of water. Some recipes and sites suggest adding water, but we feel that you want the grains and malt in the full 5 gallons so that none of the flavor is diluted.

4. Carboy - We always ferment in a glass carboy. We find it has the least influence on the overall flavor of the beer.

5. Tea Bag Technique - When the grains are soaking we move the bag just like you would a tea bag in a cup of water to ensure you maximize what you get from the grains

6. Bread - We make bread from the grains of our beers, and usually end up with approximately 5 loaves of fantastic tasting bread.


Saturday, September 22, 2012

Weekend In Spokane - 9/14/2012

On the weekend of 9/14, I was invited to spend the weekend with my "sister" and her family in Spokane.  After a night at the fair, consuming things like french fries, cheesesteaks, a deep fried twinkie (with chocolate sauce), and deep fried butter (with raspberry sauce), I was treated to a tour of different orchards and farms.  Two great things happened.  For the first time, I picked my own hops.  They were Cascade Hops, and my "nieces" helped me pick them.  Second, I found an orchard that I could easily convert into a brew pub.  They had a front structure that could be a pub and restaurant, and a back structure where they harvest apples that could easily be converted to a place to brew beer.  I'm looking forward to using the hops in my next creation.

On Saturday, my "sister" and "brother-in-law" took me to a brewery in downtown Spokane.  It is called the Steam Plant, and is an old steam plant (with original equipment) converted to a restaurant and bar.  I had the sampler, which I thought would include about 6 samples.  Imagine my surprise when it contained 11.  It included a "peach ale", which was light, but outstanding.

Great weekend!

PS.  I almost forgot to mention something.  We uncorked the latest apertif creation, which combined cab sav wine, vodka, strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.  It was very smooth and a good combination of flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment